How to make money selling printables online
If you have ever thought of making passive income by selling printables online, then you are on the right page. One of the best place to sell printables is on Etsy. Before we go into how to make money by selling pintables, it’s imperative to first know how to create these digital prints. A major advantage of making money through printable is that, as a designer, you design a particular thing once, but various buyers can purchase the document repeatedly, also the software required to design and sell these printables mostly free. Let us consider certain key points associated with printables;
What exactly is a digital download?
The standard definition of a digital download is an electronic form of a document or file that the buyer will receive without receiving a physical copy. This simply implies that all digital downloads are received in soft copy and would remain same until it is printed in hard copy. This implies that the buyer is paying for a custom icon that you make, but will not receive a tangible item through the mail. These documents come in either jpeg/pdf format and can be printed in local printing shops.
As a seller you do not print any file for the customer, you don’t send a tangible item, you just create a file or an artwork and send it to them. The main reason why the files should either come in jpeg or pdf files is because most printing shops prefer it that way. This makes the printing process easy. Most customers would prefer you sending the file in both formats.
The most common printables that are sold on Etsy for digital downloads are
- Wedding invites
- Wedding signs
- Printable artworks
- Birthday signs
- Printable wine labels
- Printable planners
- Printable banners.
- Worksheets and stationary.
There are so many options to choose from, as long you are creative enough, you can do pretty much anything with digital prints and make good money from it. It just depends on your niche and what you are more interested in doing and what you are more passionate about. In order to make more money from selling printables, I recommend you remain focused on your niche and not move from one niche to the other over and over again (if you choose artworks, do more artworks and if you prefer wedding signs, it is best to stick to it).
However, if you can handle various niche perfectly, it is okay to try it out. Also, if someone requests for a particular type of design, feel free to give it a shot and ensure you are professional throughout the custom order process.
- Canva: you don’t have to be an expert in graphic designing to create printable artworks of any kind. With a little bit of help with canva.com and purchasing license to make use of their graphics, you could start making printables in no time. Whenever you’re buying any kind of template, graphic designs, fonts or any graphic related item that you intend to work on and sell, make sure to read the license terms- especially if you intend making money with them.
Canva allows for simple methods of graphic design with a simple drag and drop feature, which requires little or no experience. Canva also provides lots of free items. However, if you want to get better items with a larger variety, its best to subscribe for their paid items.
How to use canva;
- Log on to canva.com
- Sign up for the account if you don’t have one. Click here to sign up for an account!
- Go straight to creating your design: click on create new design, select the size you intend to use for your design, or you can make as many designs as possible, then you have a dashboard and different templates for you to select.
- Begin your design by simply dragging and dropping on the new page.
- Insert image, text (choice font and color).
- Edit background
- Click on publish, download and safe as jpeg.
How to make sellable printables;
- Select your niche: most people find it difficult to sell printables because they do not have a specific niche. Most clients will prefer buying documents from sellers that are consistent and focused on a choice niche. The reason for this is because they assume that the persons who focus on a particular niche are more skilled in it.
- Sizing: for all forms of graphic designs, the choice size matters a lot and should be considered. When designing, ensure to know the limit of the length and width of your work. This is so that you don’t have to edit the work all over as a result of the design not fitting in.
- Decide before you design: Before you design on your mobile phone or PC, ensure you have made a sketch of your choice design on a sketch pad or drawing kit. Ensure you have selected your font, colors and design patterns. Doing this will make your work faster and easier when you start the main design.
- Print first before you upload: most buyers complain of low quality designs after they have gone ahead to print the jobs. Although the job may look really nice as a digital document but due to the way it is being saved or the choice of color used, it most times appears blurry or dim after it has been printed. This is why the seller must first print the job to know how it will appear when the buyer does same.
How to sell your printables;
One of the easiest and most reliable means of selling your printable is on Etsy.com, Etsy is a global market, where people come to buy, sell and download various items. All you need to do is to log on to the website, sign up/sign in, upload your document/printable and wait for buyers to shop for them. Etsy allows for prints, photography, painting, glass art, drawing & illustrations, fiber arts and other collectibles.
Another site to sell your printables is Shopify. Shopify is an online platform that allows you sell printables to buyers anywhere in the world.
Lastly, you can sell printables on fiverr. Fiverr is also an online business software where lots of business related activates occur. Lots of buyer’s log in daily to purchase products and hire freelancers too.
Don’t hold back any longer, make and sell those amazing printables today.